Monday, February 18, 2013

My Radio the Elecraft KX3

I guess all hams remember their first radio.  I'm lucky my first radio happens to be the Elecraft KX3.  

As I began my journey into ham radio I was looking for a good all purpose multi-band radio.  It had to be light weight, easy to use, and a good all in one package.  

I believe that the KX3 is all that and a bag of chips.  Its light weight under 1.5 pounds, covers the 160-60 bands, and has a low current drain to save on the batteries.

My KX3 has the KXFL3 Roofing Dual Bandwidth Filter, the KXAT3 Internal, Wide-Range 20-W Automatic Antenna Tuner, and the KXBC3 NiMH Charger.  I ordered my KX3 as a Christmas present.  In January my KX3 serial number 3136 arrived in the mail.


I ordered the kit version and learned a great deal about the interior of the radio as I assembled it.  Having built computers the assembly was straight forward and completed in an afternoon.  I was excited to get on the air, but I couldn't.  One thing was standing in my way.  My Technician license.  So I started out just listening and trying to learn as much as I could.  I studied for the exam and in no time I had my ticket.


Having activated three summits so far I am starting to realize  what gear I need to be effective.  I have been using a Buddipole with great success. I am also working on  a light weight wire antenna to lighten up the rucksack a bit.

I am still learning how to get the most out of my KX3 and I plan on sharing what I learn with all of you.  So thanks for reading and stay tuned.

73's and  keep climbing!

No comments: