Saturday, August 2, 2014

Huckleberry and Waucheesi

It has been far too long since my last SOTA Summit.  With the new house, and new K9, my life has been hectic!  But it has been worth it.  Check out a few pics of Kimber and I during training!  Kimber is a dual purpose canine.  She can find drugs, track bad guys, and then apprehend them. 









 Its been a while, but I am back with a vengeance.

I headed out to Huckleberry Knob to start off the weekend.  I decided since Huckleberry is an easy summit it would be a great start for Kimber.  The hiking will also help Kimber keep up her cardio.  It is great for her tracking! 

It was a great day for SOTA, and I had no problems making my contacts.  While I was busy on the radio Kimber checked out the summit, and to my surprise found a tennis ball.  



 
The next day I decided to try a new summit Waucheesi Mountain.  W6UB activated it for the first time in 2013.  It is a drive up summit if you have a high clearance vehicle like an SUV or Truck.  I think the road had recently been graded, and may be passable by a cautious driver in a car. But I wouldnt want to drive a new Caddy to the summit.  The toughest part is the 1.6 miles on Lookout Tower Road.  I took a few pics on the way up.




Once at the top the activation is straight forward.  This summit could be handicap accessible, as long as the individual has a vehicle to get up the gravel road.

I think Kimber enjoys SOTA!

The roads leading to Waucheesi Mt are beautiful, and full of sites for fishing, camping, and sightseeing.  The Cherokee Forest is just as beautiful as the Smokies, but not as crowded.  Check out this awesome waterfall.

It was a great two days.  Thanks to all the contacts, and I hope to hit a few more in the next few days.  I may have a new gear review in the next few days.  Stay tuned for further.


Thanks everyone!
73's AND KEEP CLIMBING!!!!

No comments: